Saturday 2 June 2018

6 Reasons That Made Me Start a Home-Based Online Business

The first established business I started was a brick-and-mortar fast moving consumer goods business. My business premise was far away from the house, and I spent more than an hour every day commuting.

Soon after starting, I applied a couple of marketing strategies I learned from Brian Tracy’s The Psychology of Selling and in a few weeks my turnover had increased by more than 100%.

Everything seemed to be perfect.

Exactly one year later, however, a fire broke out in my business premises and gutted everything. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any insurance cover. The reality of life suddenly dawned on me. I practically realized that I could lose everything I had worked for all my life in a single day.

I didn’t need a soothsayer to tell me that it was time to look for a better alternative.

I teamed up with one of my best friends, and we started our home-based business; a blog.

Presently, my story has changed. I currently run a content marketing firm from the comfort of my home. I don’t make millions of dollars, but I make more than I could have ever imagined.

Starting and boosting a home-based online business is one of the best business decisions I have ever made. So far, I have loved every part of it. The reasons below are what convinced me that a home-based online business is the best shot for me.

1. The comfort that comes with working at home

As I write this, I am sitting on my couch with my laptop on my laps, typing away. I woke up a few hours ago and brushed my teeth. And without having to take my bath or dressing up, I picked up my laptop and started working, and loved it. I don’t have a boss breathing down my neck, and I don’t have to worry about coming to work late. I own my own space.

2. I save the time I would have spent commuting

Back in the days when I still had to go to work, I always came back tired. I was productive, but I noticed that the extra one hour I spent commuting usually stressed me out. Not just that, the time I spend getting ready to go to work and closing from work, is actually a lot.

Working from home has changed all that, as I get to use the time I would have spent commuting to do something more productive. This means that I have the chance to put in more work at times. Other times, I could invest it in taking a course or spending time with my loved ones.

3. The ability to work remotely

One of the things I enjoy most about my present job is that I can be anywhere in the world. So long as I have internet access, I can still do my job and communicate with my staff and clients.

Presently I have a good number of clients who regularly need my writing services. I have never met any of my clients so far by the way. Everything is done through emails.

Equally, I have a fully functional and productive remote team. I mean, 80% of my staff live in different cities from the one I do, and they still deliver exceptionally. That’s amazing! All my staff and I live and work in Nigeria, but having a home-based online business made it possible for me to do business with people I would never have met ordinarily.

4. Lower expenses are incurred

Back when I had my office outside my house it meant I had to pay rent and utility bills twice. Also, I had to spend some money commuting, and this also comes with its own stress. All the extra costs I incurred convinced me that it was time to stay home and work. Working from home saves me from all that. I get to save more money too.

5. Opportunity to be anything I wanted

As a home-based online entrepreneur, one of the first things I did was to register on Upwork and on fiverr. The good thing about job websites is that there is no watchdog saying, “Hey, you can only be a graphic designer. You cannot and must not try your hands-on programming unless you live in Atlanta.”

Ordinarily, I would not get access to some jobs in the real world just because of my location. But in the online world, what matters most is the fact that I can deliver and meet the expectations of my clients. And guess what? Nobody cares if I work on top of my bed in my pajamas, or not.

6. Flexible work schedule

When I had an office, I had to be at my business premises by 7:30 am every day and get back home 12 hours later. This meant that though I was an entrepreneur, I wasn’t really in control of my time or my schedule. My customers were.

Presently my home-based online business gives me the flexibility to work whenever I need to. Because I work in a different time zone from most of my clients, it means I don’t have a fixed work schedule.

For instance, I wake up very early. And because I am in control of my time and I have a flexible work schedule, I can afford to write an article of 2000 words even before the average person wakes up by 6:00 A.M. to start their day.

The post 6 Reasons That Made Me Start a Home-Based Online Business appeared first on Home Business Magazine.



from Home Business Magazine https://ift.tt/2srPZAF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I lived in a hacker house for the summer when I was 18. It changed my career trajectory completely and I left college.

Jonah Weinbaum. Courtesy of Jonah Weinbaum Jonah Weinbaum joined a hacker house to work on a neurotech project in summer 2023. The hac...