Thursday 30 January 2020

Nike's controversial Vaporfly shoes powered the world's 2 fastest marathoners to victory. When I tried them, it felt like running on rocking horses.

nike labAylin Woodward/Business Insider

I walked into Nike's New York headquarters clad in Nike shorts, pants, and socks. But it was difficult to hide the offending triple stripe on my Adidas sneakers.

I was there to try the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next%, the latest iteration of Nike's controversial Vaporfly running shoe.

This class of Nike shoe confers at least 4% energy savings per foot fall, according to tests by Nike scientists and independent research labs. In 2019, runners wearing Vaporflys claimed 31 out of the 36 male and female podium spots in the six biggest marathons around the world. 

I had to get them on my feet to see what the fuss was about.

I've been covering the science of Vaporflys since October, when Eliud Kipchoge broke the 2-hour-marathon mark wearing a Vaporfly prototype.

Leonhard Foeger/Reuters

His pacesetters ran it in the same shoe I was about to put on at Nike.

During the same month as Kipchoge's marathon, Brigid Kosgei smashed the women's marathon world record by nearly 1.5 minutes in Chicago wearing Vaporflys.



When I opened the box, I was met by a blast of hot pink.

Aylin Woodward/Business Insider

The $250 shoes come in a rainbow of neon hues, including orange and lime.



The shoe's shape looked like a tapered spearhead.

Aylin Woodward/Business Insider

Less than 4 inches at its widest point, the Next% has the most razor-like heel I'd ever seen. It looked almost like you could shave with the edge.

 




See the rest of the story at Business Insider

See Also:

SEE ALSO: A controversial Nike running shoe is at risk of being banned. A decision may come within weeks.



from Feedburner https://ift.tt/2NDApNc

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Houthis probed Israeli defenses with a ballistic missile, and Iran is likely taking notes

The Houthis wrote "hypersonic" on their new Palestine 2 missile. Houthi media/Screengrab via X A Houthi ballistic missile rea...